Thursday, March 1, 2018

Designing and illustrating...

On this post I would like to share a little about the process of making repeating pattern designs...
designs that could be used on fabric, a shower curtain, pillows, stationary and so on.
Above is a flower pot design...very simple yet sweet.
I chose a gray background to highlight the vibrant colors I chose.
The line in the flower pot really isn't there....that is part of the adobe illustrator program.

I basically drew this flowerpot with flowers and colored it....on the computer.9
Sometimes ....It first starts as a line drawing in black, then I color it and in the diagram shown above... I got rid of the black lines outlining everything.


To make drawings seem less flat...it is good to add texture...like with these tiny dots and blobs. I added it to the flower pot and flowers...in a different shade.
Here is a hexigon with a simple yellow background and white flowers....
then when I add background textures and different shades of flowers ...the repeating pattern becomes much more interesting and less flat.


Most repeating designs start with drawing and illustrations put on a background like this gray square.
Everything is mathmatically placed down to the pixel...to create a perfect repeat.
The right side has to line up the left side and the top to the bottom.

Above is my computer screen with the repeating design....that repeats perfectly to infinity.

I put my profile on the corner and changed up my outfit to match the colors in this design.
This is just for labeling this design as mine.

Here is how this flowerpot design could look on products....a dress, lamp shade, purse, cell phone...etc...
Pretty fun!

This little diagram just shows how different a simple illustration looks with a white outline...from no outline on down to a big outline.  Sometimes it is fun to use so the illustration pops out at you and gets your attention.

I just thought you might be interested in my perspective of fabric design...there are a lot of classes on line....if you want to know more. 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
This is my pattern sale of the week!

These cheerful bunnies are ready for spring! They are super easy to create. Choose bright & vibrant fabrics or get a completely different feeling with sweet & soft fabric. These pretty eggs can be made into wearable pins with or without the 18 sayings provided. Bunny measures: 5 1/8" x 9 3/4". Egg measures: 2 1/4" x 3 1/8".

Sayings included:
Happy Easter, Welcome Spring, Hip Hop, Bunny, Cute chick, Spring has sprung, Bliss, Bloom, Giggle, Frolic, Joy, Miracles, Laugh, Tickled pink, Primitive, Rejoice, Egg-stra cute, and Egg-ceptional.
Here I used Amy Butler fabric...is bright and fun colors....and it could be made in soft pastels to give a completely different look!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- 



Come to the home matters linky party

No comments:

Post a Comment